Graduation is on the forefront of every undergraduate’s mind while they race to the finish line to complete their degree. Many are also trying to figure out how to get an internship. After all the hard work and hours spent going to class, writing papers, doing research and creating projects, students generally are eager to get an internship or even a job if they are fortunate.
Why is an Internship Important?
In today’s competitive job market, it is imperative to have any edge you can create for yourself. Internships of course look great on your resume and show potential employers that you have experience working in your field, but more than that, internships offer you the opportunity to network and develop relationships with mentors. They show drive and motivation, two attributes that are very attractive to organizations looking to add strong people to their teams.
At Arrae Creative we are committed to helping others reach their goals, not only our clients but also everyone on our team. It is part of the core values we feel so passionate about and one of they key elements that makes working here feel more like home than work. For Arrae, being more excited about going to work at the end of the weekend over going to the pub on Friday night means that you are doing something that you love.
How to Get an Internship: 8 Tips From Stacy Esposito (Intern at Arrae)
1. Exercise humility. Being pretentious communicates that you are not coachable. The Arrae team is set on helping interns grow, learn and build their skill set and the best way for that to happen is for you to be teachable.
2. Exude energy, even if you had to pull an all-nighter writing a paper the night before your interview, come in excited to be here. Arrae is full of high-energy people who work, play hard, and dump their passion into everything they do. Match or exceed their energy–it will be welcomed with open arms.
3. Appearances are important in terms of how to get an internship. Make sure you look as polished as your portfolio. While the Arrae team may occasionally wear flip-flops and t-shirts, they already work here. Dress for success, and more importantly: dress for a professional first impression.
4. Positive attitude is a must. People who are upbeat and enthusiastic are easy to relate to and more approachable. Arrae has an internal philosophy that “bringing positive energy to the table results in more positive energy”, and whether that means new business or better internal relationships…it is key here. If you have a positive attitude 100% of the time, you will do well at Arrae Creative. Creativity flourishes in an environment where people share, encourage and who are auspicious by nature.
5. Hold onto your cliche hats: There is no ‘i’ in team. Being cooperative, being able to accept other points of view and giving viable feedback are all part of being a player on the team at Arrae Creative.
6. We laugh as hard as we work at Arrae, so having a sense of humor is a huge bonus. Having the ability to work hard and push yourself beyond the boundaries is essential, but so is having fun and being able to take joke.
7. Do a little research; find out what we do here at Arrae Creative. Realizing how your skill set will be a benefit to our team will help us see how you will fit in at Arrae and it will leave a lasting impression. The management at Arrae believes that “actions are a testament of your thoughts.” So, to put it bluntly: saying “I’d really like to be part of your team” means substantially less to Arrae’s hiring managers than showing up prepared does.
8. Above all, be professional from the first contact to the last. Everyone at Arrae is an essential part of our team, and your professionalism will earn trust from the team over time.
“It’s vital to be kind, professional and polite when interacting with anyone at an organization. So it’s imperative that no matter who you interact with—from the reception desk to the CEO, from the people you pass in the hall to the interviewer—you must act with the utmost professionalism (Forbes).” http://www.forbes.com/sites/netapp/2014/03/10/job-interview-mistakes/
All of these tips apply to how to get an internship here at Arrae Creative, but truly they are tips that should be implemented for any internship you are seeking. Put your best foot forward and good luck!